Re: [linux-audio-user] snd-atiixp - ATI SoundMAX

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] snd-atiixp - ATI SoundMAX
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 19:04:38 EEST

Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> The SoundMax chips are indeed AC'97 codecs (from Analog Devices), but
> the driver to use depends on the AC'97 controller. Currently, there
> are three types of controllers built into motherboard chipsets; the
> drivers for these are snd-intel8x0, snd-via82xx, and snd-atiixp.

OK, making sense.

> In this case, snd-atiixp is correct.

OK, making more sense.

> The entry hasn't been written yet, but this driver doesn't need any
> special configuration. Just look at the intel8x0 entry and replace
> the module name with snd-atiixp.

Makes the most sense!

> HTH
> Clemens

Helps a lot! For Gentoo on this laptop I used ALSA_CARDS="atiixp". The
driver built fine first time, is installed and both the built-in
speakers and the headphone jack are working now using alsaplayer to play
a CD. alsamixer correctly sets volume independently on each.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Mark