Re: [linux-audio-user] USB Audio + docking station/powered hub (audiotrak optoplay)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] USB Audio + docking station/powered hub (audiotrak optoplay)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 01:04:48 EEST

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 12:36:28PM -0800, Jonathan Beilin wrote:
> Hi, I'm running gentoo on a dell inspiron 8600 with a docking station & a
> powered USB hub. When I'm undocked with the audiotrak optoplay plugged in
> directly, it works fine. However, if I try to plug the optoplay in to the
> docking station or the wall-wart powered USB hub the optical-digital light
> is very faint and I get broken pipe reports when I send a signal to the
> device. What is wrong?

Thats interesting. This product:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/usbaudio_hub/ claims to be a
"USB Audio" hub, and I always thought it was BS, but maybe theres some
truth in it.

Sorry I dont have any helpful suggestions :( It could be that the audio
device is trying to draw more power from a single port than the hub or
docking station wants to provide, you can find out by running lsusb -vv as
root and looking for the MaxPower line of your audio device and the power
allowance (dunno what thats called) of the hub. The docking station will
probably be a hub too.

- Steve