[linux-audio-user] Cheap 5.1 soundcard?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Cheap 5.1 soundcard?
From: olig9_AT_gmx.de
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 18:59:21 EEST

Hi,
as the onboard soundchip on my Epox 8RDA3+ (CMedia 9739) doesn't work
very well, I'm looking for a cheap soundcard which can handle 5.1 sound.
It should run under Linux (Debian Sarge, Kernel 2.6) and Win98, and I
want to be able to play AC3 sound (that can be done in software, right?).
I've already looked around and found several cheap 5.1 cards, but I have
doubts about their Linux compatibility... Can you tell me something
about these cards:

Creative Soundblaster 4.1 Digital
Creative Soundblaster live 5.1 Digital
Typhoon Acoustic Six 5+1
Terratec Aureon 5.1 Fun

Is any of these cards well supported by Alsa, and can I play 5.1 and AC3
sound with it? I've already nearly decided for the SB live 5.1 Digital
but then noticed that it's not that well supported...

Or is there any other card which you could recommend? I don't want to
spend too much, it should definitely stay below 50 EUR, but I don't have
high expectations (playing MP3s and games, watching movies, getting
system sounds...).

Thanks in advance for your help,
Oliver Gerlich