Re: [linux-audio-user] Cheap 5.1 soundcard?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Cheap 5.1 soundcard?
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 20:23:11 EEST

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 08:59, olig9_AT_gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
> as the onboard soundchip on my Epox 8RDA3+ (CMedia 9739) doesn't work
> very well, I'm looking for a cheap soundcard which can handle 5.1 sound.
> It should run under Linux (Debian Sarge, Kernel 2.6) and Win98, and I
> want to be able to play AC3 sound (that can be done in software, right?).
> I've already looked around and found several cheap 5.1 cards, but I have
> doubts about their Linux compatibility... Can you tell me something
> about these cards:
>
> Creative Soundblaster 4.1 Digital
> Creative Soundblaster live 5.1 Digital

I have been using just a regular SB Live 5.1 (Has AC3 Digital out but
I've never used it. I believe it does work in Linux with some messing
about) I get reasonable latency with Jack (like under 10ms) and it is
seemingly robust. I don't use it for recording though. I use it for live
use as part of a Linux FX box on a Dell CPXj 650. I run Ardour as my
"mixer" and several LADSPA plugs (Chorus, Freeverb and Delay) with
qjackctl and jack on Mdk 9.2 with the Multimedia kernel.(2.4.22mm from
Thacs RPM's) I have a CII docking station that has 2 PCI slots. The midi
also is somewhat useful as you can load whatever soundfont you like only
limited by physical memory. I use Fluidsynth for that.

Considering I paid $19.00 US for this card...Price cant be beat!