Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie questions for live gigging

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie questions for live gigging
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 13:35:52 EEST

On Friday 23 April 2004 10.20, Daniel James wrote:
> > Just for the record since this is the second time I read this:
> > Agnula offers both a Debian based system (DeMuDi) and one that is
> > Red Hat-based (ReHMuDi).
>
> That's true, but most of the community development is taking place on
> the Debian version. There aren't a lot of questions from users of
> ReHMuDi on the Agnula lists either - users mostly seem to be trying
> out DeMuDi.
>
> As I understand it, what happened was that the Agnula distribution was
> originally planned to be Debian based only, then Red Hat France got
> involved and ReHMuDi was proposed as an addition to the project.
> Perhaps it's because Planet CCRMA already exists that ReHMuDi hasn't
> spawned much of a community so far.

To add to the confusion. I use Mandrake myself with great success.

I think a list of distros that aim for multimedia would looks something like
this:
- Mandrake (especially with Thac's rpms, rpm.nyvalls.se, very fresh)
- Suse (a lot of stuff is included in the main distro, including lowlatency
patched kernels)
- Redhat/Fedora + CCRMA (Looks good and diverse, CCRMA is where all the good
stuff is)
- Agnula (should be a big name, multimedia is what confirms their existence, I
know too little though)
- Dynebolic ( live-cd based, don't know much about it)

/Robert