Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie questions for live gigging

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie questions for live gigging
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 21:16:45 EEST

Friday 23 April 2004 19.06 skrev Mark Knecht:
> Paul Winkler wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 12:35:52PM +0200, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> >>I think a list of distros that aim for multimedia would looks something
> >> like this:
> >>- Mandrake (especially with Thac's rpms, rpm.nyvalls.se, very fresh)
> >>- Suse (a lot of stuff is included in the main distro, including
> >> lowlatency patched kernels)
> >>- Redhat/Fedora + CCRMA (Looks good and diverse, CCRMA is where all the
> >> good stuff is)
> >>- Agnula (should be a big name, multimedia is what confirms their
> >> existence, I know too little though)
> >>- Dynebolic ( live-cd based, don't know much about it)
> >
> > I'd add gentoo to that list. Most of what I want can be installed
> > simply by doing emerge name-of-app.
> >
> > Occasionally when I want to live on the bleeding edge and install
> > a more recent version than they have available, of e.g. jack or alsa,
> > I use emerge's "inject" feature to tell the package system that
> > I've installed it myself so don't mess with it :-)
> > This way I can still emerge apps that depend on jack even though
> > I've installed it myself from source.
> >
> > Sure does take a long time to install, though :-)
>
> Paul,
> I agree that Gentoo can do most of this, but I wonder if it's the
> right distro for a newbie? emerge is really a great environment with
> huge amounts of support. I love it, but I wonder if a person new to
> Linux would be successful getting through the install process?

I consider myself somewhat more on the 'power user' side of the spectra and I
love the idea of gentoo.
Build your own customized system... though in a controlled manner.
And infact I did try to do it once but I gave up rather soon thereafter, it
was just too much work for me to keep it going. I still think it's a good
idea though, but it's definitely not for everybody.

/Robert