Re: [linux-audio-user] permissions of /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/oss

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] permissions of /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/oss
From: Atte André Jensen (atte_AT_ballbreaker.dk)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 21:18:06 EEST

Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Atte André Jensen wrote:
>
>>I cannot figure out how to automatically set permissions of
>>/proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/oss. I tried Having the line
>>
>>options snd major=116 cards_limit=4 device_mode=0660
>>
>>in /etc/modutils/alsa, but alsa won't come up, saying: "Unknown symbol
>>device_mode".
>

> This is only for device nodes in /dev/, if devfs is enabled.

But why does alsa complain about "Unknown symbol device_mode" then? A
bug (in the kernel or alsa)? Or is this wrong in my .config:

[atte_AT_aarhus linux]$ grep -i dev .config | grep -i fs
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
# CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS_XATTR is not set

If I get alsa to recognize the device_mode=0660 (for instance by
changing my potentially wrong kernel .config), where would the
oss-emulation of my card that is now at /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/oss
show up in /dev? And are one of the devices (/proc/... or /dev) better
in terms of a) stability b) latency c) supportedness d) something else
or are they equal?

>>Is there a new way of setting the permissions of
>>/proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/oss or /proc in general???
> There is no way, except changing ALSA's source code.
> The permissions of pcmxx/oss are set in the snd_pcm_oss_proc_init()
> function in alsa-kernel/core/oss/pcm_oss.c (entry->mode).

Bwadr. Don't wanna mess with that :-)

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte