Re: [linux-audio-user] my live CD dilemma

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] my live CD dilemma
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 20:59:44 EEST

Paul Winkler wrote:
> I have the cursed Neomagic 256 AV in my old Dell CPI-A.
> I found that with Alsa, the system had a roughly 60% chance
> of total lockup when loading the driver.
>
> I had some back-and-forth email with Takashi which resulted
> in some patches that made the driver less likely to freeze the
> system, and at one point it was down to maybe a 10% chance of lockup.
> But later releases of ALSA made it much worse again.
> Eventually I gave up... I don't run audio on that laptop anymore :-(
>
> On the random occasions that it managed to load, the driver worked fine :-\

This sounds like my experience with the cursed RME HDSP9652 before I
finally gave up. I didn't have the lockups. The machine just didn't load
the driver 90% of the time. The 10% of the time it did load it worked fine.

It had been much better in earlier version of Alsa and earlier kernels,
bad it wasn't worth the time spent to make it work...

- Mark