Re: [linux-audio-user] Xvnc remote to audio box...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Xvnc remote to audio box...
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 20:56:26 EEST

Russell Hanaghan wrote:

> The other item is probably security related. I can do su root in a
> console but cant run Qjackctl or other progs. Claims "segmentation
> fault".

Check that you don't have two version on the system, or at least that
the version root is finding is the most up to date.

I may not need to run as root now though. The mm kernel I'm
> using allows realtime modprobe. I did "modprobe realtime gid=501" for my
> user account and jackit runs in realtime no problems.

Interesting.

> Still, it would be nice to be able to run a file editor and browser as
> root for modifying config files, etc...

Certianly. I can, but I don't have any completely headless boxes to look
at what you're doing. I can say that my Gentoo boxes routinely boot to a
text login (Idon't even have xdm or gdm on my systems) and then are only
accessed remotely. They do run Jack just fine so I know for a fact that
there's no hard requirement that X be running on the :0 display of that
box to get audio out of the box. I can run run qjackctl in the studio
from my desktop here at work and play and/or record audio in my house.
It does work.

- Mark