Re: [linux-audio-user] Xvnc remote to audio box...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Xvnc remote to audio box...
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 20:22:50 EEST

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 09:55, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> >>But in the same conversation...I have vnc starting on boot as Display
> >>:1. I notice following that leaves it a tad short of what I think I
> >>need...
> >>
> >>1/ If I don't let display :0 log in, it seems alsa is not initialized,
> >>or at the least is not available to display :1
> >>

> > Anyone??
> >

> Anyone would be smarter at this than I, so take this with a grain of
> salt. Also, I don't have a Mandrake or Redhat machine available to check
> any of this, but you should be able to piece it together I think.
Thanks for the effort at least!

> To me this sounds like a run level problem. If you are booting to run
> level 3 then it may be that Alsa is set to initialize at run level 5
> which is normally not entered when you boot only to a text level like 3.

Alsa is loading normally on Run level 3.

It is actually working on the remote desktop now...

My problems are with the fact that if I don't set auto log in in either
kdm or gdm or whatever, then Display :1 wont load...maybe that is a run
level issue? I will check..I'm like you...I know enough do be
dangerous! :)

The other item is probably security related. I can do su root in a
console but cant run Qjackctl or other progs. Claims "segmentation
fault". I may not need to run as root now though. The mm kernel I'm
using allows realtime modprobe. I did "modprobe realtime gid=501" for my
user account and jackit runs in realtime no problems.

Still, it would be nice to be able to run a file editor and browser as
root for modifying config files, etc...

R~