Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get sound on remote X kde client

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get sound on remote X kde client
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 15:50:31 EEST

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 08:24, Robert Rozman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've managed to get some sort of thin client, but still have some problems.
>
> I've enabled XDMCP on my server, and run this on my diskless epia client:
> "X -query ip_of_server"
>
> and I got login screen, got into and could work as just at the server. But I
> would like to go further. It seems like that desktop is using resources on
> server (audio, graphic card).
>
> How can I get sound from server's desktop to my epia thin client ?

Have been asking on here about some Xvnc stuff myself and not got much
help. Either off topic or something more personal like...they all hate
me! :))

I am not an expert but I don't think any of the standard vnc / rfb
client/server solutions will do this. That is if I understand you
correctly...You want the sound from the server you remotely log to, to
port to the client machine? Even if you could do that, the sound quality
would be limited to bandwidth type issues as Tightvnc, Vnc, Xrfb, etc
are all optimized to function well over slower connections. I.E. You
sound would be poor quality.

R~