Re: [linux-audio-user] Fwd: [Jamin] Re: soft clip: Achieving Gain, inconsequential overloads

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Fwd: [Jamin] Re: soft clip: Achieving Gain, inconsequential overloads
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 05:00:34 EEST

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 18:47, davidrclark_AT_earthlink.net wrote:
> Hey Mark,
>
> I don't think it's any accident that people who like distortion guitars also
> like them loud. So I think there's more to it that "I'm louder than you."

You know, in all of my time spent messing with Pro Tools, and being
involved in the forums where a lot of us have shared our music for
critical comment, the only comment I've EVER heard about my mixes not
being loud enough is that people don't want to be bothered dealing with
the volume control on their system. It has NEVER been that making the
mix louder makes the mix sound better than just turning the stereo up to
make them louder. It's always been far more that when people are playing
one mix from me and one mix from another person they just want them all
to be consistently loud so that they all sound about the same.

That's just my experience. Many people, musician's included, just want
everything the same. Problem is that gives us a 50/50 chance that
they'll all be the same, and all be wrong. ;-)