Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] recording fom turntable (ripping LPs)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] recording fom turntable (ripping LPs)
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 16:01:55 EEST

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 12:31:11PM +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> > you need to reverse the RIAA curve to get
> > back the original signal.
>
> Audacity has a built in 'equalization' effect with presets for several
> disc cutting curves, including RIAA. I'm not sure how you would use
> it to reverse the curve though - it looks like it was designed to add
> vinyl/shellac equalisation to digital recordings, rather than remove
> it from analogue ones recorded without a correcting pre-amp.

Having just upgraded my copy of Audacity I was playing around with it
last night, and I'm sure those curves were high at the LF end and low at
the HF end, which would make them playback compensation rather than
record pre-emphasis.

While you've got audacity open can also use its noise
removal tool to cut out rumble and tape/preamp hiss.

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444