[linux-audio-user] Is there a shortcut to merely test a midi device?

New Message Reply About this list Date view Thread view Subject view Author view Other groups

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Is there a shortcut to merely test a midi device?
From: Lee Dunbar (dunbar_AT_techemail.com)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 18:09:04 EEST

Howdy all....

I have been trying to learn a few things at once, possibly too many, and I'd like to cut some unknowns out of the big picture. I'm hoping that someone can help me with a down and dirty test of my midi hardware.

Details:
I am trying to learn about setting up and using midi in SuSe 9.0, and also am kinda new to Linux. Also, the keyboard might be defective... the 3 octave keyboard is 'new' in regards that I just bought it last year (was still shrink wrapped), but it is leftover stock - the manufacturer is out of business. To give a clue about the age, the keyboard came with Windows 3.1 software (no mention of 95). I only had Windows ME on a celeron system; when I installed the included software, it could not find the keyboard, but I suspected the age of the software and the differences in OS revisions were more the problem. And I assume that the celeron system was properly configured.... but nothing ever noticed a keyboard.

I then took the keyboard to my Linux box... it still seems to be uncommunicative, but I'm new to Linux.

There are just too many variables in the pot right now:
a] Does the keyboard even work? It powers up and appears to change functions per written instructions. But no communications.
b] Does my Linux box (SuSe 9.0, AMD Athlon, DFI AK75EC mobo) have a hardware or BIOS defect? BIOS says midi/game is set to midi (only other option for that port is game).... the cable is definitely connected to the correct port.
c] Does my Linux box have all the proper modules? I see MPU401, virmidi, and all the soundcard playback stuff works fine. (Via 686 based chipset, AC'97 compatible). I can issue aconnect -lio and see a difference when the module is inserted, but do I have all the proper steps completed, etc etc etc.

Ignore answering all the above, please; I'd rather try to send strings to the midi port and see if the keyboard is receptive, see how it responds, etc, so I can have some of the variables removed from the wide matrix that I presently face.

Any suggestions on brute force communications w/midi devices? Can I cat some string int /dev/midiwhatever? I once used 'cat ATO > /dev/ttys00' for testing a modem, that was slick, but what commands are sent in MIDI? That kind of test would be, IMO, very useful.

TIA!

-- Matthew 28:19,20

_____________________________________________________________
Are you a Techie? Get Your Free Tech Email Address Now! Visit http://www.TechEmail.com

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Thu May 06 2004 - 18:04:53 EEST