Re: [linux-audio-user] Is there a shortcut to merely test a midi device?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Is there a shortcut to merely test a midi device?
From: Lee Dunbar (dunbar_AT_techemail.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 16:53:05 EEST

Hydrogen does not see it. Let me at this time reiterate a prior request I made: a simple bruteforce test is desired. I've already tried soo many different 'normal' configurations (GUI version of aconnect, connect the midi device to a sequencer that is launched, got nothing, tried Timidity, Muse, Rosegarden - they do not see the device, nor do I know hos to tell my midi device to be channel 1 or channel 7, etc) remember my 'too many variables' statement? I really want the simplest and most fool proof setup one can possibly attempt. Hence I asked about catting a string into a midi device - something as brute force as that, talking straight into the /dev/midi device.....

-- Matthew 28:19,20

--- Benjamin Flaming <lau_AT_solobanjo.com> wrote:
On Thursday 06 May 2004 10:09 am, Lee Dunbar wrote:
> [snip: how to test a MIDI keyboard]

     Another idea would be to use Hydrogen for testing. Start the program,
and choose "Preferences..." from the File menu. Switch to the "Midi System"
tab, and select the input which you think represents your keyboard. Click
Ok, and watch the "Midi in" light. If it blinks when you press keys, you
know that communication is okay.