[linux-audio-user] System freeze (was Re: [ecasound] ecasound 2.3.3 released)

Subject: [linux-audio-user] System freeze (was Re: [ecasound] ecasound 2.3.3 released)
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (rzewnickie_AT_rfa.org)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 19:42:43 EEST

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 09:15:00PM -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie_AT_rfa.org> writes:
> > Jack, can you send a link to that again? I fear my saved mail will not
> > be available when I get my box working again ...
> http://www.joq.us/jack/rt_monitor.tgz
> If that doesn't help, your system freeze is probably in the kernel.
> Good luck,
> --
> joq

Great. thanks.

I managed to get my system back (though I'm pretty sure it's not in good
order). My file system was a total mess. There were around 2000 items in
/lost+found. sed, tar, and vi (at least) were completely missing. man
was rsync. My dpkg/apt database was totally hosed. Much of what should
have been symlinks under /etc/alternatives/ was some sort of data file.
And so on, and so on ...

I found I had something called psed (perl implementation of sed) and
linked it to /bin/sed and floppy-disk-netted a copy of tar from another
box. With that and dselect I managed to reinstall most of the system and
get X and openbox working again. It was an interesting exercise, but I
think I'll need to reinstall anyway. It seems like many shared libraries
are missing or incorrect, i.e. something else has their name ...

When I left it around 1am last night I was trying to compile jack, but
running into issues with ld and libcap.

Anyway, when I have a reasonably clean system again I'll definitely be
running that rt_monitor. I would like to help get to the bottom of what
ever is causing these lockups, so any other advice for getting good
debug output or other troubleshooting tips are welcome.

Thanks,
Eric Rz.