Re: [linux-audio-user] Is there a shortcut to merely test a midi device?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Is there a shortcut to merely test a midi device?
From: Benjamin Flaming (lau_AT_solobanjo.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 17:51:01 EEST

On Friday 07 May 2004 08:37 am, Lee Dunbar wrote:
> > > BIOS says midi/game is set to midi (only other option for that port is
> > > game)....
> >
> > This *may* be wrong, and *might possibly* be the source of your
> > trouble.
>
> Uhhhh..... My BIOS is an issue? You lost me, Ben. My motherboard manual
> *tells me* to set the BIOS to game if I want to use a joystick on the port,
> or set the BIOS to *midi* if I want to attach midi devices to it...

     This is why I used the words "may" and "might be". ;) I've used
gameport MIDI devices on several different machines, and never had to change
any BIOS settings on them. I theorized that the setting in question might be
for machines which had an actual MIDI port instead of a gameport. It seemed
like an unnecesary varible. I hadn't seen your manuals, and had no way of
knowing that they contained this advice.

> Also, nothing anywhere (in all the manuals) has ever mentioned needing any
> adapters, can you post manufacturer names and part numbers for what you are
> referring to? And the computers I've mentioned are PC, I know that older
> Macintoshes (68k era stuff) needed adapters, is that what you are thinking?

     In your case, it would be the cable which was shipped with the keyboard.
If none of the other troubleshooting techniques work out, you could buy
another such cable for about $15 from Guitar Center or somewhere similar, and
see whether you get different results.