[linux-audio-user] Re: MusE as a midi-only sequencer

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: MusE as a midi-only sequencer
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 18:38:56 EEST

Robert Jonsson <robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se> writes:

> There is actually a dummy backend for JACK which IMO would render
> this discussion moot. I am yet to try this though, anyone knows if
> JACK in this configuration has constant timing?

The JACK dummy backend works, but its timing is not very solid. It
relies on usleep() which doesn't seem to be very accurate with current
Linux kernels. Increasing HZ in the kernel build may help, but I
can't say for sure. Ideally, we would prefer the POSIX nanosleep().

I suspect that an optional version using the RTC could be written.
That should be accurate enough.

--
  joq