Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie checks in

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie checks in
From: Joseph Dell'Orfano (fullgo_AT_dellorfano.net)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 05:06:52 EEST

I would like to put in another major plug for Planet CCRMA. All of the
aforementioned packages (ardour, audacity, jamin') and many others can
be installed in one fell apt-get install. You will have more music and
video apps than you know what to do with!

I have had great luck with a relatively inexpensive Delta 1010LT sound
card. There are a few things to note with this - it allows simultaneous
multitrack recording, includes 2 balanced XLR inputs and in addition has
a MIDI port and SPDIF i/o. It is very well supported with Alsa and Jack,
etc. It doesn't connect to your CD-ROM drive as far as I can tell, so
playing a CD from the computer doesn't work (at least for me, unless I
am missing something obvious) It is essentially a brain-dead install if
you follow the directions on the CCRMA website!

Essentially, in purchasing a relatively descent PCI sound card and
installing the Planet CCRMA stuff, then you will still spend a tiny
fraction of what an equivalent Windoze system might cost you.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

-Joe D