Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie checks in

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie checks in
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 05:37:01 EEST

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 06:18:36PM -0700, Jos Laake wrote:
> Yeah, it's a cheapo, about 40 bucks at Fry's. Anybody using consumer
> grade stuff and getting decent (demo qulity) results? Or are the stock
> soundcards and/or motherboard sound units all crap?

The answer to both questions is "Yes!" ::-)

Now, the number one thing to remember when doing home/budget music work,
is to ignore the advice of people with money. They'll mostly just tell
you about gear you need. What you need is an answer to the question
"what can I do?"

LAU is good for getting answers to that question!

Don't worry about your hardware until it becomes a limitation. One you
may run into - channels of I/O. You may soon want to be able to record
more than two channels. But don't worry one bit about what you're using
until you've tried to do something and not been able to, because of the
hardware.

> Okay, I'll bust it up and keep this short. I suppose I should pop over
> to Linux Audio *Developers* to ask about fine-tuning hard drives and
> interrupts, eh? ;-)

No. The same advice applies here! You've got the basics covered -
ALSA, Jack, and a low latency kernel. I'd just try it out - download
some apps and start making music. Don't start screwing with stuff until
you have a definitely problem. I suspect you'll find things are fine.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon. He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.