Re: [linux-audio-user] audacity 1.2.1

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] audacity 1.2.1
From: Juhan Leemet (juhan_AT_logicognosis.com)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 22:02:54 EEST

The main part of my post was....

>> FWIW, I have successfully built audacity-1.2.1 on SuSE 8.2...

I added the note...

>> message about it using portaudio 15 which restricts it to oss, and it said
>> would have to change to use the experimental (?) portaudio 16 to get alsa

Where I made my mistake...

>> ...On my audio machine, I've got an M-Audio
>> Audiophile-2496, and I think (?) I'm restricted to using oss (because of
>> envy24control?) anyway? I'm a bit unclear on that. I'll play more later (on
>> another machine). Just another "data point" for you guys.
>
>just curious ... how does envy24control restrict you to using oss?
>envy24control is an ALSA tool for controling an ice1712 chip's mixing,
>routing and other features. You pretty much have to be using alsa to use
>envy24control. Many people, myself included, are using envy24control and
>the alsa-drivers on cards (delta-66 for me) based on this chipset.
>
>-Eric Rz.

Thanks for the correction. As I indicated, I'm a bit fuzzy on the
interactions. What confuses me more is that these days I alternate between
two PC machines: one with Intel 82801AA-ICH and the other with ICE1712 - M
Audio Audiophile 24/96. I was shooting from the hip... and I missed... (I
should have checked everything before posting). I remember having to mess a
lot with the audio driver settings on the ice1712 machine in xmms to get
anything to play, but that may have been a problem with xmms(? see below).

On that envy24control thing viz. alsa... I do find it annoying that there is a
lack of "integration" between such apps as audacity and xmms and the audio
volume control. I'm not sure what the problem is. I would have expected that
the volume control on audacity or xmms should be "connectible" to the main
(which one? I would suggest analog volume, as "master"? or PCM1 & PCM2?)
volume control on the envy24control panel. With the 82801 it works that way:
I can control volume either with xmms slider, or from kmix (or any other?).
However, I think the xmms volume slider changes only the PCM volume (on my
i82801 machine), leaving the master where it was. With ice1712, I have to
bring up both audacity (dead slider) or xmms (dead slider) and envy24control
(to adjust volume, on analog output panel). I don't have "normalization" in
xmms working to my satisfaction yet, so it's even more annoying. I don't know
if it's a permanent problem, or whether it will (eventually) be fixed? How?

(getting a bit farther afield from audacity...)
I've had other problems with applications (such as xmms) storing machine
specific configuration stuff into my home directory (shared across machines).
Hopefully, all that stuff should also be fixed. In principle, I should be
able to move between machines (with different audio, etc.) and be able to run
my applications without having to tweak everything (yet again). An "initial
tweak" on a new platform is acceptable, but shouldn't mess up others. This
may have been the main confusing factor for me, making me distrust things.

(back to audacity!) Oh, and a couple of observations about audacity-1.2.1:

1) Mono recording on ice1712 is (again/still) transposed 1 octave down: the
default recording is mono, and it seems to mess up the data stream coming
from the M-Audio Audiophile-2496. I get my voice transposed 1 octave down,
must be some sample/buffer mapping thing. I've seen this before with previous
versions, and I've seen others mention it. Workaround is to record stereo.

2) (slight anomaly) recorded track identification panel missing until
recording stops. I don't know if this is "by design" or "by mistake". When I
start recording (in mono or stereo), the wavefore panels come up (empty,
natch), but the track identification panel on the LHS is missing. When I stop
recording, this panel appears (with the L/R panning slider, etc.). Maybe this
is "by design", to prevent people trying to tweak that stuff? Only for
playback? Not a problem (except you can't see mode info), but unexpected.

BTW, great mailing list! I'm picking up much useful stuff here. I still don't
have my audio stuff setup to my liking, but it's a background activity for
me. These days soliciting paying work is taking priority (unfortunately). I
do use audacity to record/playback to (re)learn some guitar and singing. It's
pretty bad (my performance that is), but it's getting better. The gear helps.

--
Juhan Leemet
Logicognosis, Inc.