Re: [linux-audio-user] Timemachine file playback problems

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Timemachine file playback problems
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 13:28:39 EEST

On Sun, 23 May 2004 02:44:37 -0700
Jos Laake <jos_AT_radiks.net> wrote:

> So I recompiled 'alsaplayer'. It still works on all the
> things it used to work on, and it now loads all the soundfiles
> from 'timemachine' and appears to be playing them. But
> what I get is silence.

Here is a sceen shot of your file loaded into Conrad Parker's Sweep
(which uses libsndfile for file I/O):

   http://www.mega-nerd.com/tmp/a.png

Much of the file is silence and even the lowest part is at -12dB.

> I don't get it. Timemachine's little
> meter is bouncing away in sync with the input, which implies
> that it's getting a signal. So what I see so far is that one
> of three things could be happening:
>
> A) 'timemachine' is not really recording properly but writing
> the file correctly

Maybe, but unlikely.

> B) 'timemachine' is recording okay, but not writing the file
> correctly.

Very unlikely.

> C) 'alsaplayer' isn't reading/interpreting the file correctly.

Even more unlikely. To prove this is not the case, why not load
the file into an editor like sweep, normalise it, save it and then
try playing the new file with alsaplayer.

> Anybody got any good guesses on what to check next?

Why not start with a known good audio source, record it with
timemachine and then try playing the timemachine recorded
part with alsaplayer.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
A good debugger is no substitue for a good test suite.