Re: [linux-audio-user] Timemachine file playback problems

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Timemachine file playback problems
From: Jos Laake (jos_AT_radiks.net)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 14:02:55 EEST

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 2004 02:44:37 -0700
> Jos Laake <jos_AT_radiks.net> wrote:
>

>>So I recompiled 'alsaplayer'. It still works on all the
>>things it used to work on, and it now loads all the soundfiles
>>from 'timemachine' and appears to be playing them. But
>>what I get is silence.
>
>>Anybody got any good guesses on what to check next?
>

> Why not start with a known good audio source, record it with
> timemachine and then try playing the timemachine recorded
> part with alsaplayer.

Okay, so I took a snippet that I know plays just fine.

It's a .wav file and can be found at:

http://www.josmusic.com/splut/mikriff.wav

I play it through 'alsaplayer' with its outputs routed via
JACK to both 'timemachine' and the alsa outputs. The signal
shows up on the 'timemachine' LED Meter and the soundclip is
heard correctly at the output. I click on the 'timemachine'
window to capture the last 10 seconds. 'timemachine' writes
this output file:

http://www.josmusic.com/splut/tm-mikriff.wav

This file appears to be silent when played in 'alsaplayer'
(same configuration that worked above). It is also silent
when played in 'xmms' with 'sndfile' support and 'alsa'
output. (This configuration also plays the original file
just fine.)

That's what I've got so far. It's looking more like an output
file problem to me.

~Jos~