Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] QAMix 0.0.7e

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] QAMix 0.0.7e
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 04:24:35 EEST

Greetings:

  Regarding MIDI data filtering, here are some ideas:

    Rechannelizing: The ability to redefine and limit channel reception
(i.e., allow only one specific channel through, redirect channel 1 to
channel 10, etc.)
    Mapping: Map anything to anything, no matter how apparently
ridiculous it may seem. Velocity to mod, volume to aftertouch, note-on
to controller message, whatever). Only sysex messages are immune. ;)
    Blocking: Stop reception of a certain data type, e.g., running
status bytes, program changes, etc.
    Set MIDI delay, arpeggiation, range filtering & restriction, etc.

  This question has come up before when I was surprised to find how
difficult it was to access *only* the drums from the Fluid soundfont via
Qsynth. Some synths are good about channelization, others aren't, so it
would be nice to have the means to set MIDI channel reception
externally. I keep coming back to the notion of the programmable MIDI
patch bay, or something like the Yamaha MEP4 (a MIDI event processing
unit, much fun).

Best,

dp