Re: [linux-audio-user] Any instructions about for running a Win VSTi under vstserver

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Any instructions about for running a Win VSTi under vstserver
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 04:39:33 EEST

Mark Knecht wrote:

> One question about all of this. It appears that if I run vstserver
> it attempts to start EVERY VST (or even every file!) in my vst
> directory?! Is this correct?

I'm not sure it's trying to open each one. It seems like it's
registering each one though. Maybe Kjetil can tell us what goes on
during initialization of vstserver ?

> My version of Snd does appear to have the LADSPA 1.1 stuff built in
> so possibly your example will work for me when I find a VSTi I can
> trust...
>
> When you do get around to looking at this quicktoot please take a
> close look at exactly which VST/VSTi's you mention. I'm finding links
> out of date on the Linux VST site for a number of the ones in
> everyone's examples (Not only yours.) so I don't know where to find
> the ones in the example.

Mark, are you accessing http://www.djcj.org/LAU/ladspavst/ ? I ask only
because Tim's original page is still reachable but is out of date, and I
want to make sure you're reading the correct page.

I will seriously give the tutorial an update soon. I have yet to try
libfst and I'm 'way out of date even with Kjetil's work. Time to jump
back into that world...

> It's probably a bogus thing to do, and I'm not a pd user, but I
> tried saving the 'text context' stuff you show and running it in PD. I
> get errors about not being able to make connections. Life in Linux
> land is not meant to be easy I suppose. ;-)

You might not be loading the required external. Did you start Pd with
'pd -lib /wherever/you/put/k_vst~' ? The full name of the object is
k_vst~.pd_linux but the -lib flag doesn't require the full name.

IMO, Pd really wants some essential externals (GEM, iemlib, k_vst~) for
full-on rocking capability...

"Easy" and "Linux" do seem to contradict at times...

> It's probably a too huge job for someone to really keep care of the
> VST page and expect it to always be up to date.

I'm just too busy with other work to attend to my tutorial right away,
but I'll move on it asap, I promise. (Warning: Do NOT hold your breath
waiting for Dave to fulfil his promise! Doing so may be harmful to your
health!).

Best,

dp