Re: [linux-audio-user] Any instructions about for running a Win VSTi under vstserver

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Any instructions about for running a Win VSTi under vstserver
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 17:14:08 EEST

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> One question about all of this. It appears that if I run vstserver
>> it attempts to start EVERY VST (or even every file!) in my vst
>> directory?! Is this correct?
>

> I'm not sure it's trying to open each one. It seems like it's
> registering each one though. Maybe Kjetil can tell us what goes on
> during initialization of vstserver ?

I got things working fairly nicely yesterday by:

1) Putting each VST in it's own directory
2) Starting vstserver using an empty directory as the exported path.
3) Starting vsti and using a relative path from the empty directory that
vstserver is using

vsti ../VSTi/SIR-Reverb/SIR_086.dll

A bit weird but it works nicely. Would be nicer if vsti would just use
the directory it's started from but this isn't bad.

<SNIP>

> Mark, are you accessing http://www.djcj.org/LAU/ladspavst/ ? I ask only
> because Tim's original page is still reachable but is out of date, and I
> want to make sure you're reading the correct page.

I was on that page. There's just a few links out of date. To be
expected. Just my luck to have them be the ones I tried first. They were
ones I searched out as having your name on them.

(For instance the links under Anenome & compakt)

FYI - these were just test cases for me. I have no real reason to run them.

<SNIP>

> You might not be loading the required external. Did you start Pd with
> 'pd -lib /wherever/you/put/k_vst~' ? The full name of the object is
> k_vst~.pd_linux but the -lib flag doesn't require the full name.

No, I didn't. Don't know how to use pd. Not going to spend the time now
that vsti seems to be working.

> "Easy" and "Linux" do seem to contradict at times...

I could write a book. I think most Linux folks don't know how 'easy' it
is for us non-programmer types. You know that standard comment "Just
build a new kernel"?! I still only have realtime and 'capabilities' on
my Planet boxes!

>> It's probably a too huge job for someone to really keep care of the
>> VST page and expect it to always be up to date.
>

> I'm just too busy with other work to attend to my tutorial right away,
> but I'll move on it asap, I promise. (Warning: Do NOT hold your breath
> waiting for Dave to fulfil his promise! Doing so may be harmful to your
> health!).

Understood. Thanks!

- Mark