[linux-audio-user] declipper

Subject: [linux-audio-user] declipper
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 18:04:25 EEST

Hi,

I'm doing some more mastering. A couple of the songs
have spikes, short duration but high signal level.
Compression fails to hold these signals in place. I
could tweak the compressor but when results aren't
achieved quickly I look for another tool.

Can SWH or anyone else explain what the Declipper
does? In a moment of genius I began to suspect that it
declips. Dah! I guess a definition of clip and an
example for where this plugin is useful would be
helpful.

I've post fader and in front of the compressor
inserted the declipper. In my test track, it doesn't
appear to be doing anything. It's likely the spikes
are not clips. However, the level of the spikes is
probably +6.0dbfs hotter than the average level.

If these spikes aren't clips, maybe I can normalize
and close the level gap between the spikes and the
average signal. I'll try that but suspect it won't do
the job.

Is there a different tool that can be used to control
these spikes? Perhaps a despiker. :)

ron