Re: [linux-audio-user] midi dump?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] midi dump?
From: Erik Steffl (steffl_AT_bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 11:51:20 EEST

Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Erik Steffl wrote:
>
>>what program can I use to dump midi
>
> amidi --port hw:0,0 --dump

   oh, I was trying it before but I didn't realize it's not working (it
didn't complain though, just no output) because I did connect 64:0 to
65:0, once I detached them it works. thanks!

>>in a sort of human readable format?
>

> I guess hex values qualify as "sort of human readable format". ;-)

   sort of qualifies:-) I'd like something that would try to interpret
it and print out the result (as in note on, note off etc.)

>>when I hit the pad the sound is VERY soft, I can barely hear it
>>(at normal volume I can only barely hear crash cymbal and hi-hat).
>>So I'd like to check what is being sent out by the drum pad
>>(whether the volume is so low or there's some other problem).
>

> Note-On messages are "9x nn vv", where x is the channel, nn is the
> note, and vv is the velocity (=volume).

   I see e.g. 99 2F 51 where the second number differs for different
pads and the last number is up to about 70 (harder hit = higher number).
But I can't hear anything.

   when I dump one of the demo songs the volume has about same values
and I can hear those... however it also sends 89 xx xx and EC xx xx
messages, there's also number of F8 messages (clock?)

   any ideas how to further debug these? Do I need to check midi
protocol and go from there?

   thanks,

        erik