Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour, Jack, and 2.6 kernels

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour, Jack, and 2.6 kernels
From: Malcolm Baldridge (linux-audio_AT_paypc.com)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 01:24:40 EEST

> As an aside, Ardour does have "native raid" which
> doesn't have the computational overhead of kernel
> supported raid.

I can't imagine that he's suffering from THROUGHPUT issues. RAID doesn't
improve latency, for this sort of application. RAID's good for when you
need higher throughput, and even 8 channels of 16-bit/44.1K audio is very
low in throughput for modern drives.

> Perhaps it would be useful for systems
> that have drive related performance issues.

With a 400ms latency, I highly doubt this is his problem especially since
using the 2.6 kernel makes that alot better. It's either an untuned IDE
driver (2.6 may have a better chipset tuning setup automatically), or a
filesystem-related problem. (Try data=writeback mode if using ext3).

A 2.4.2x-preemptible kernel with low-latency engaged and a tuned IDE driver
with ext3 in writeback mode, or reiserfs should definitely get you JOY with
audio latency.

Make sure you compile in support for IDE chipsets (VIA, SiS, Intel, etc), so
Linux can best tune/adjust transfer modes and DMA timings for optimal
results. Many stock distribution kernels just include generic support.

=MB=

--
A focus on Quality.