Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] alsa-lib 1.04 FC1

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] alsa-lib 1.04 FC1
From: Joe Button (linux-audio-user_AT_joebutton.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 02:32:33 EEST

Hi.

> For RH8:
>
> /dev/hda1 /boot
> /dev/hda2 /
> /dev/hda3 /swap
>
> For RH9:
>
> /dev/hda5 /boot
> /dev/hda6 /
> /dev/hda7 /swap

Is there any particular reason for so many partitions? Why not one boot
partition, one swap partition and two root partitions? That would be a more
normal way of doing it.

> Here's what I'm thinking about for an edited
> grub.conf :
>
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> ### RH9
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma)
> root (hd0,4)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma ro root=LABEL=/1
> hdc=ide-scsi initrd /initrd-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma.img
> ### RH8
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.19-1.ll)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.19-1.ll ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
> initrd /initrd-2.4.19-1.ll.img
>
> Is this kosher ?

Sorry, too tired and bleary to look at it properly. Maybe. As I said above I
think you'd be better off with one /boot partition.

> What will happen if it's incorrect

I think you should end up with the grub command line, which should allow you
to specify a kernel and boot.

> , and what should I
> do if grub fails ?

You could boot from a rescue CD (Knoppix or SystemRescueCD should be fine),
mount your partitions, chroot, edit your config files and try again (either
with grub or lilo).

> How do I specify that I want RH8 to be the default
> system ?

Change 'default=0' to 'default=1'.

HTH, good luck.