[linux-audio-user] configuring grub

Subject: [linux-audio-user] configuring grub
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 03:40:15 EEST

Joe Button wrote:

>> For RH8:
>>
>> /dev/hda1 /boot
>> /dev/hda2 /
>> /dev/hda3 /swap
>>
>> For RH9:
>>
>> /dev/hda5 /boot
>> /dev/hda6 /
>> /dev/hda7 /swap
>>

>Is there any particular reason for so many partitions? Why not one boot
>partition, one swap partition and two root partitions? That would be a more
>normal way of doing it.

Well, I didn't set up this system, and I'm trying to configure the grub
loader for it from a distance of a few hundred kilometers. The guys who
did set it up didn't configure the networking (they'll have DSL next
week so they decided to wait) so we're doing this all over the land
lines. Yep, kinda weird...

>>Here's what I'm thinking about for an edited
>>grub.conf :
>>
>>default=0
>>timeout=10
>>splashimage=(hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>>### RH9
>>title Red Hat Linux (2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma)
>> root (hd0,4)
>> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma ro root=LABEL=/1
>>hdc=ide-scsi initrd /initrd-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma.img
>>### RH8
>>title Red Hat Linux (2.4.19-1.ll)
>> root (hd0,0)
>> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.19-1.ll ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
>> initrd /initrd-2.4.19-1.ll.img
>>
>>Is this kosher ?
>>

>Sorry, too tired and bleary to look at it properly. Maybe. As I said above I
>think you'd be better off with one /boot partition.

I see your point, it would be better to do that, wouldn't it ? Can we
simply copy the contents of one boot partition to the other, or is that
just too simple a solution to be workable ?

Thanks for the advice, Joe, it is most helpful and much appreciated.

Best regards,

dp