[linux-audio-user] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] alsa-lib 1.04 FC1

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] alsa-lib 1.04 FC1
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Sat May 29 2004 - 03:43:22 EEST

> A single drive has been partitioned to accommodate both systems. The
> RH8 install was the first installation, and in the process of installing
> RH9 grub was rewritten for it (and not for the RH8 partition). So, how
> do I indicate the choices ? Here's what I'm thinking about for an edited
> grub.conf :
>
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> ### RH9
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma)
> root (hd0,4)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma ro root=LABEL=/1 hdc=ide-scsi
> initrd /initrd-2.4.26-1.ll.rh90.ccrma.img
> ### RH8
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.19-1.ll)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.19-1.ll ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
> initrd /initrd-2.4.19-1.ll.img
>
> Is this kosher ?

It looks good to me given the partition map. But I'm not a grub expert
either...

> What will happen if it's incorrect,

As long as you have not touched the rh9 boot line the worst, I guess, is
that you won't be able to boot into 8.0.

> and what should I
> do if grub fails ? How do I specify that I want RH8 to be the default
> system ?

If you get to the point of being able to boot 8 then changing the line:
default=0
default=1
should do the trick and the system should boot into 8 after the grub
timeout...

I guess you are editing the grub.conf that is in the /boot partition for
redhat 9, right? (/boot/grub/grub.conf, the last /boot partition
installed).

-- Fernando