RE: [linux-audio-user] wav to mp3 converter

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] wav to mp3 converter
From: Matthew Allen (matthew_AT_lith.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 20:36:58 EEST

It doesn't look like anyone explained the command line to you so I'll do
it real quick.

First the entire command is based on find (one of the most underused and
oft looked over commands I have come across, granted I have only been
doing this for a year or so)

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/find.1.html

so basically:

find
        (name of the command)

.
        (this directory)

-name "*.wav"
        search for the pattern *.wav in the name of the files in this
dir

 -print
        prints the full filename of any matching files

 -exec oggenc -q 5 {} \;
        and the most powerful part of find, basically what this does is
that any files it finds run the following command line [up to the \;]
replacing {} with the files

So basically the commands runs through all the fiels in the current
directory and everytime it finds a wave runs

oggenc -q 5 mywave.wav

cool huh? I love linux :).

m.

Scanned on 01 Jun 2004 17:34:31