Re: [linux-audio-user] Steinberg The Grand

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Steinberg The Grand
From: torbenh_AT_gmx.de
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 19:50:16 EEST

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 02:57:43PM +0100, Carl Hetherington wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > > Do you have any thoughts on the MIDI sending change? Perhaps you know the
> > > reason for jack_fst doing it differently?
> >
> > some plugins are very picky about what function is called in which
> > thread.
> >
> > we also expect the plugins to behave as bad as possible.
> > which in this case is have one list of events without locking, or with
> > locking and audio thread blocking.
> >
> > so the most sensible thing is insert the midi stuff in the audiothread.
>
> That's what I thought. At some stage I'll submit my patch to vsti which
> makes this change there as well.
>
> It seems that the VST spec is not very specific about which functions can
> be called in what threads.

right... such things are discussed on vst-plugins list.... :(

> > galan does the same thing.
> >
> > does jack_fst work ?
>
> Unfortunately not. I'm still getting the same segfault which I reported
> to this list on Thu, 27 May 2004 under the thread "jack_fst segfault".
>
> If there's anything I can do to help solve the jack_fst problems, please
> let me know.

the reply said "you have them"
but i get the same output from my libc.

this looks like a tls problem.
i would try to change the libc version.
try to get a libc without tls or a new gcc.

but i am not sure.
i had similar thread and wine related problems with libfst.
we override the threading implementation wine uses in libfst.

so it could be that we dont support this tls stuff properly.
i have different things to do right now, so i wont dig in this threading
code.

can you trace the location where the segfault is happening ? is it in
fst_init ? or later ?

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language