Re: [linux-audio-user] producing a drum sample library for hydrogen

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] producing a drum sample library for hydrogen
From: RTaylor (RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 08:09:22 EEST

On Saturday 12 June 2004 11:28, R Parker wrote:
} --- Robert Jonsson <rj_AT_spamatica.se> wrote:
} > lördagen den 12 juni 2004 03.00 skrev RTaylor:

} > > Why do they have to sound like cymbals? {Granted
}
} Well, this is where you would route H2:playback or
} specimen:playback to pd:input or something to that
} affect. One of the synthesis tools is jackified right?
}
} With a stable Ardour just around the corner I'm almost
} ready to go beyound the beating of dinner plates. But
} I'm a little scared.

 Frankly, I'm not all that interested in re-creating cymbals for the sake of
re-creating cymbals. I'd never use them for what I do anyway.

 What if linux audio were to utilize some sort of {FM?} synthesis sample
module {small, loadable by anything and capable of generating a specific
range of sounds. Not pre-recorded but generative... tunable, etc... over time
individual modules would get optimized to a high degree... "presets"
basically but for single sounds.} that could work across the platform.

 Samplers {like postgresql {gnumeric, open office, etc...} with some audio
specific code} could function as librarians... to standardize tunings across
a given bank of samples, to set up dependencies and interactions between
given sound modules, etc, etc... with apt {synaptic, aptitude, dselect, etc}
you could set up a server somewhere and interchange libraries and modules.

 ...Anyway... given some time it could make the need for standardized "sample"
libraries a thing of the past.

} > > {In other words... "7 zillion and one available
} > sounds and you gotta' have
} > > a simulation of something some bronze age guy
} > managed to come up with when
} > > he screwed up the kings dinner plate order?}

--
If I had saxophones / Big baritone, cleanin' up the muddy breaks
If I had Saxophones / I could get some recognition from