[linux-audio-user] Newbie question-- what can I do with just a PC keyboard, my Linux box, and a SB 16 PCI card?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Newbie question-- what can I do with just a PC keyboard, my Linux box, and a SB 16 PCI card?
From: Mark Wilson (mrmoo1231_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 20:28:20 EEST

Hello, everyone -- Newbie alert!

I don't have any sort of external MIDI equipment.
Just as the subj. line indicates, a fairly ordinary PC
setup, a few years out of date (Celeron 400MHz, 128 MB
RAM, ATI Rage 128 card and SoundBlaster 16 PCI card).

With this setup, all I can figure out how to do so far
is to use timidity to play MIDI files. I can use
Rosegarden to export my "scores" to a MIDI file, but I
don't know how set up a virtual sequencer, or what
/dev file to specify in Rosegarden's sequencer
configuration. When I try to put in /dev/midi, *midi0,
*sequencer, *audio, *dsp, *whatever, it tells me "no
such device" or unable to access or something.

But this is not just a Rosegarden question -- will I
be able to use any synthesizers or sequencers without
a "real" device to specify? Would the solution
involve symlinks, or named pipes, or other things I've
never yet explored?
Thanks for any tips,
Mark

=====

--
Seek professional help!  Ask a librarian.