Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: producing a drum sample library for hydrogen

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: producing a drum sample library for hydrogen
From: Vescovi Christophe (christophe.vescovi_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 19:32:36 EEST

RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net a écrit :

> Have you actually worked with 24/96?
>
> The differences are major. For instance, at 16/48 I can't push the feedback in
>Soundforge's Multitap delay past 50% without it going into a loop and trying to
>eat my ears and hardware... At 24/48 I can generally push it a bit... and at
>24/96 I can turn it all the way up and still, be able to control it... Seeing
>as I work primarilly with noise and feedback... this opens up entire new aural
>vistas for me... I can get sounds that would never happen at lower rates.
>
> :} I *need* those sounds.

Sorry but this is a bad example .....
This example has nothing to do with the sample rate of the sample
(sound) but with the method used to implement a digital delay effect.
In the case you are exposing you will certainly have the same effect
with a initial 24/48 sample rate up-sampled to 96 just to process the
effect. This method was used by Steinberg in one of their VST EQ plugin
in order to improved the response of the EQ in high frequency.
You don't need 24/96 to have those sound, you need better digital effect
processors !!!

Christophe