Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: producing a drum sample library for hydrogen

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: producing a drum sample library for hydrogen
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 22:26:45 EEST

RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net wrote:

> Have you actually worked with 24/96?

I must admit I have not. But I don't need to try satellite internet to
know that it's unusable either, I know what the speed of light is and I
can do the math.

> The differences are major. For instance, at 16/48 I can't push the feedback in
> Soundforge's Multitap delay past 50% without it going into a loop and trying to
> eat my ears and hardware... At 24/48 I can generally push it a bit... and at
> 24/96 I can turn it all the way up and still, be able to control it... Seeing
> as I work primarilly with noise and feedback... this opens up entire new aural
> vistas for me... I can get sounds that would never happen at lower rates.
>
> :} I *need* those sounds.

Good point, this is a case where you go with whatever gives you the best
sound, but you are really relying on the quirks of the particular
effects you are using. I was talking about the specific case of
recording live sounds from outside the computer.

Lee