Re: [linux-audio-user] A nice PCI audio card for the PC?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A nice PCI audio card for the PC?
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 23:43:52 EEST

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 02:46, Jos Laake wrote:
> I asked this same question a while back. The answers were about
> the same and sent me scurrying to e-bay. No need to scurry actually.
> There seems to be a steady stream of Audiophile 2496's, Delta 44's 66's,
> 1010LT's and 1010's flowing through the system.
>
> <FYI>
> There are a few Audiophile 2496's selling for as low as $129.00 on
> the "Buy It Now" button. I haven't followed anything to completion
> but the 2496 that ends auction in 13 hours is currently at about $100.00.
>
> There's also a pair of BX-5 studio monitors "New in box" (Retail
> $399.00) currently at $107.50 with a day and a half to go...
> </FYI>

        These are the old BX-5s. The new ones retail for 399 buit you can get
them for 299 at Musician's Friend. The difference is a low end
crossover for hooking up a subwoofer. I have a pair of the old ones and
am very happy with them. You have to keep in mind that the low end only
goes to about 80Hz flat.

> I still haven't decided what to get for myself, but I'm leaning toward
> the 1010 models because they have multi-I/O > 4 *and* MIDI. I also like
> the idea of an outboard rack mount unit. I have an empty space in my
> rack anyway.
>
> I'd like to save some $$ and het the 1010LT, but I am curious,
> has anybody had trouble with having that rats nest of cables behind
> the computer? Seems like that would be noisy.
>
> Also, how many inputs can you *really* record at once without xruns?
> I'm running a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 in an Ice Cube small footprint system.

        I'm running a 1.47GHz Athlon with the DSP2000 C-Port and I can record 8
at 24/96 without xruns. The trick is that you set the size to 2048 and
use the hardware monitoring built in to the card. This is the same
chipset as the 1010LT and 1010 so you can do the same with those cards.

Jan