Re: [linux-audio-user] Creating live CDs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Creating live CDs
From: lau_AT_hippie-online.de
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 00:28:01 EEST

R Parker wrote:
> --- lau_AT_hippie-online.de wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I'd like to know if there is a tool to create live
>>CDs under Linux.

> If you're running JACK, then master with JAMin. I
> recently built a mastering demo session that perfectly
> demonstrates what I consider the best way to aproach
> the audio mastering part of your task. Unfortunately,
> there were issues within Ardour so the demo needs to
> be replaced.

I took a look at the JAMin homepage and - wow! - this looks really
promising, but also quite complicated. Up till now I did not run JACK -
in fact I do not understand what it really does (besides lowering
latency which should not help in offline CD mastering?).

> I think Jeremy Hall fixed the automation path and
> names stuff so Ardour should be usable for building a
> new session. I'll try to create a new Demo tomorrow.
> If that demo can be opened on any computer without
> manually editing the session file, then a link for
> download can be made available from
> jamin.sourceforge.net.
>
> If you're interested in Ardour (source) -> JAMin ->
> Ardour (return bus) then I'll try to keep you up to
> date on my progress with a demo session.

Return bus?! I am going to take a look at the documentation on the JAMin
homepage. I hope then I will understand what you are talking about...

My distro (SuSE 9.1) comes with JAMin 0.8.0, Ardour 0.453.1 and jackd
0.94.0. Is this combination okay for mastering live CDs?

Thanks for your help,
 HippiE