Re: [linux-audio-user] Creating live CDs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Creating live CDs
From: Them (idragosani_AT_chapelperilous.net)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 00:51:14 EEST

lau_AT_hippie-online.de wrote:

>>If you're running JACK, then master with JAMin. I
>>recently built a mastering demo session that perfectly
>>demonstrates what I consider the best way to aproach
>>the audio mastering part of your task. Unfortunately,
>>there were issues within Ardour so the demo needs to
>>be replaced.
>

> I took a look at the JAMin homepage and - wow! - this looks really
> promising, but also quite complicated. Up till now I did not run JACK -
> in fact I do not understand what it really does (besides lowering
> latency which should not help in offline CD mastering?).

I don't know that you will need JACK for creating the actual CD master,
since that comes *after* you have done the pre-mastering with the Ardour
-> Jamin -> Ardour stream. Once you have your tracks pre-mastered, then
you bring them into something like gcdmaster and start arranging things
for the actual CD layout.

>>If you're interested in Ardour (source) -> JAMin ->
>>Ardour (return bus) then I'll try to keep you up to
>>date on my progress with a demo session.
>

> Return bus?! I am going to take a look at the documentation on the JAMin
> homepage. I hope then I will understand what you are talking about...
>
> My distro (SuSE 9.1) comes with JAMin 0.8.0, Ardour 0.453.1 and jackd
> 0.94.0. Is this combination okay for mastering live CDs?

You might want to upgrade all of those. They are a bit old!

-- Brett