Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: giga files and large soundfonts

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: giga files and large soundfonts
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 19:11:14 EEST

James Stone wrote:
>>There are many, many good, and completely free gig files. Look at
>>Worra's Place for the best overall set I know of:
>>
>>http://www.worrasplace.com
>>
>>Note the links to subsections are just below the ad at the top. (Not
>>everyone finds them)
>>
>>Take care,
>>Mark
>

> Thanks.. yes I had seen that page before and there _do_ seem to be a few
> more files now. It worries me that they are generally all so small in
> size though: smaller than soundfonts some of them. Also there does not
> seem to be much in the way of proper orchestral sounds.. the woodwind
> section is not up to much and there is no strings section.

Most certainly they do not represent a complete library. Many are
samples of older synths, etc., and are good for limited, but
interesting, applications.

Almost none of these are velocity sensitive (multiple samples/key) and
many don't even cover the complete keyboard.

> The sound files at the University of Iowa are massive: 40-60MB per
> instrument. Could build up some really nice files from them! I think
> perhaps the easiest way would be to write them as soundfonts and then get
> some program to convert them..

No, massive is 2GB for a piano, or some of the newer orchestra libraries
that are running upwards of 9GB (Garritan) and 14GB. (Sonic Implants)
None of those are very practical for download over the web, at least
today. How would this be different if the library was Open Source? (Or
whatever I should call it...)

I agree that it should be possible to take a library of individual wave
files and turning it into a 'working' gig file, given at least some sort
of reasonable naming convention on the sample files. Take those
generated gig files, run them through some sort of analysis program that
looks at volume out vs. MIDI velocity in, using LS or GSt, or both, and
you d likely get part of the way there.

As for making a good gig file, there's a lot more to it than just raw
samples. Tuning issues, deciding where to do velocity splits on each
note, artifacts in certain wave files, etc. It's a huge undertaking, and
  in the end it seems you can buy these things for a few hundred
dollars. Is it worth the effort to try and replace that? Garritan's
Orchestral Strings advertizes over 8500 string sounds and over 500
patches. This boils down to maybe 10 cents per wave file which seems
pretty cost effective. How long would it take to put this stuff
together? I know a number of the recent releases have taken years of effort.

Anyway, I wish you and whoever else wants to undertake such a task the
best of luck. It would be greatly valuable to have some good, free
libraries.

With best regards,
Mark