Re: [linux-audio-user] updated VST/VSTi tutorial

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] updated VST/VSTi tutorial
From: Them (idragosani_AT_chapelperilous.net)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 17:58:49 EEST

Dave Phillips wrote:

>> I have questions about using jack_fst. When I run it with a VST,
>> should the VST interface come up or does it become available as a
>> LADSPA plugin in a JACK client?
>
> The VSTi runs like a standalone application (which might explain why
> Mark K can't get Groove Agent working). See the screenshots for the
> tutorial.

Yeah, it isn't working with jack_fst at all, after more experimentation.
  It just hangs and I have to manually kill it all. Running under
vstserver, though, I get a unresolved symbol error when it tries to load
the DLL, and it's unusable with that as well.

>> I only have one VST plugin I am using, the M-Tron Mellotron
>> emulator, and when I run it with jack_fst, nothing happens, the
>> program hangs and I have to 'kill -9' it eventually. If the VST
>> plugin also uses sample files (there are many for this synth) from a
>> sub-directory underneath where the binary sits, will it be able to
>> find them under a Linux filesystem or do I need to place them under
>> the Wine 'fake_windows' file hierarchy?
>
> Where are the samples located on a Windoze filesystem ? Are they
> supposed to be installed by the Win installer ?

They are installed in a subdirectory directly under the directory where
the VSTi dll installed. I notice the manufacturer (GMedia) has a small
utility to run the VSTi as a standalone application now. I might try
that and see if it works under Wine.

--
Rule of Feline Frustration:
         When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly