Re: [linux-audio-user] moterhboard and sound card advise

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] moterhboard and sound card advise
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 20:50:43 EEST

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 02:38, Veronica Merryfield wrote:
> This will be my only Linux machine, although I am sure more will follow.
> I could prototype it, but I was hoping to get a good steer from current
> users.
> Thanks for the steer on soundcards.
> I want 1/4" in and posssibly stereo out. Input from a wireless link from a
> bass guitar. Could be balanced in, but would llike unbal as well, same for
> output. You are right about USB - not really.
> I want to use a pedal board to control it, possibly midi, or with a
> digital/analogue IO card. I also have thoughts of using as a synth.
>
> Raises another question - anyone writen a good pitch tracker (thinking
> driving synth from audio input).

I have recently gone thru the gammut of soundcards for this same (or
similar) purpose and not wanting to spend a million dollars. I ended up
on a Delta 1010LT. Google some...I paid $180.00 US on Ebay for mine and
bought some patch bays to go with. There are 2 balanced pre-amp ins for
mics or whatever...The RCA tail is a bit cumbersome but cheaper option.
for a hundred or so more you can get the Delta 1010 with the better
patching, etc.

Pitch trackers not all that comprehensive yet. If your not aware, check
out all the various LADSPA plugs available. SWH package, CMT, TAP.
etc...and for the brave at heart...install VST server or Jack_fst to run
native Winblows VST's. (I havent had much luck with that)

I just (yesterday) bought a mini ATX case and Asus A&V*X Mobo with
Atahlon XP 2500. I'm setting it up as we speak. Will report its
progress. Not a rack mount...I looked at that and the rackmount PC gear
is still overpriced. I decided to re -engineer my live setup a tad so I
can fit this mini case in.

R~