Re: [linux-audio-user] plugging a bass guitar in a linux box

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] plugging a bass guitar in a linux box
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 20:35:01 EEST

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 09:40, Anahata wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 03:58:39PM +0200, caffeine wrote:
> > I know that using a bass on a guitar amp would
> > blow the thing off, but I don't know if it's just the guitar amp speaker
> > which is not suited for such frequencies
>
> It's the speaker, and it's only a problem if you turn it up loud, plus
> you won't get very much bass out of it!
>
> > problems might arise with the
> > output (ATM this would be my stereo
>
> Again a domestic stereo will not sound right as a bass amp, but if you
> keep the levels sensible it won't break anything.
>
> When you're recording you need to consider whether the pure signal from
> the bass guitar is what you want to record. With any type of electric
> guitar the speaker is part of the sound and it's common to use an
> amplifier and put a mic in front of that. The direct signal has a
> distinctive 'clean' sound which may or may not suit the type of music
> you want to make.

        I actually run the bass directly into an Art tube mic pre, then into an
HHB Radius 3 FatMan tube compressor (bass 2 preset), then into the sound
card input. The sound is great. With the FatMan at bass 2 you can use
a pick without it sounding too much like a pick (I'm a guitarist - I
need a pick for really fast bass licks ;-)

Jan