[linux-audio-user] Fresh PC waiting for basic installation - Advice?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Fresh PC waiting for basic installation - Advice?
From: Alejandro Lopez (alex_osiris_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 11:41:39 EEST

Chaps,

I'd like to set up a music-only PC to produce demos of my songs, by
installing some simple system from the ground (OS) up. The PC I've made
available for this is a 1 GHz AMD Athlon if that makes sense and I remember
well. My preferred method is often to create a complete sequence of a song
then gradually substitute MIDI instruments by audio tracks of recorded
musicians.

What would you go for if you wanted the functionalities listed below? (I
would sacrifice some of the features for the sake of simplicity.)

-Sequencer
-Multitracker / sampler, the "loop" kind (reads waves from disk in real
time, inserted at any points or measures of the song).
-Soundfont enabled realtime synth
-Basic effects for the multitracker: simple reverb + simple equalizer
-Audio editor hopefully with advanced features such as quantizer (handy for
drums) and note tuning (essential for 3 piece brass section!) + some basic
such as compressor
-Any low level stuff for the above from drivers to audio mixer

What would you try if you were me? (Unseccessfully tried to install Planet
CCRMA before, would give a second try if advisable as a simple solution.) I
really really need to spend little time in getting it to work but I'd
definitely like to go open + Linux.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed previously, I just joined this list and
had a quick search for related threads, anyway if this topic has been around
I would appreciate a pointer to the relevant thread and please accept my
apologies.

Many thanks for any advice, any comments will be much appreciated.

Yours,

Alex

PS: Yesterday I visited a Protools based studio (G4 Mac + 24 channel console
+ big rack with lotsa stuff), needless to say I was in heaven but that was a
very different story altogether!

Reparaciones, servicios a domicilio, empresas, profesionales... Todo en la
guía telefónica de QDQ. http://qdq.msn.es/msn.cfm