Re: [linux-audio-user] Fresh PC waiting for basic installation - Advice?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Fresh PC waiting for basic installation - Advice?
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 13:55:57 EEST

Last Friday 02 July 2004 09:41, Alejandro Lopez was like:
> -Sequencer

Rosegarden4 or MusE

> -Multitracker / sampler, the "loop" kind (reads waves from disk in real
> time, inserted at any points or measures of the song).

Multitrack recorders - Ecasound or Ardour
Perhaps you actually want a tracker such as SoundTracker here. (there's plenty
to choose from).

> -Soundfont enabled realtime synth

QSynth
Other recommends here: ZynAddSubFX, for when you want something that sounds
nice. Hydrogen, for drums.

> -Basic effects for the multitracker: simple reverb + simple equalizer

LADSPA (Dunno about 'simple': creox? ecamegapedal?)

> -Audio editor hopefully with advanced features such as quantizer (handy for
> drums) and note tuning (essential for 3 piece brass section!) + some basic
> such as compressor
> -Any low level stuff for the above from drivers to audio mixer

Quantiser in MIDI editor, never seen one in what I would call an 'Audio'
editor' Note tuning (?) hmm?

> What would you try if you were me? (Unseccessfully tried to install Planet
> CCRMA before, would give a second try if advisable as a simple solution.) I
> really really need to spend little time in getting it to work but I'd
> definitely like to go open + Linux.

AGNULA/DeMuDi-1.2.0 or PlanetCCRMA

The latest version of DeMuDi installs in under an hour. You have to be
prepared to spend a certain amount of time figuring things out for yourself,
but this approach involves the minimum brain strain.

HTH

tim hall