Re: [linux-audio-user] Audacity now works with JACK

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Audacity now works with JACK
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 17:12:23 EEST

> when I start audacity, it complains that it cannot
> open the alsa device (because the running jackd is using it)
>
> debian:/home/demo/audacity-1.2.1cvs20040702#
> /usr/local/bin/audacity ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1155:(snd_pcm_hw_open)
> open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c failed: Device or resource busy
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1155:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
> failed: Device or resource busy

I got that the first time - after selecting JACK in the I/O
preferences and restarting Audacity it was OK.

> In the preferences, jack is selected, but when I try to play a
> sound, an error dialog pops up:
>
> "Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device
> settings and the project sample rate."

Maybe try stopping JACK, starting it and then starting Audacity again.

> The project sample rate is set to 48000, which jackd is running
> at...

I've been using 44100 for all my tests - maybe that's the problem. I
also built portaudio v19 before building Audacity; that may make a
difference. From the audacity source directory created in the cvs
checkout, it's just:

cd lib-src/portaudio-v19
./configure
make
make install

then build Audacity as described.

Please report your experience on the audacity-devel list and hopefully
it can be sorted out.