Re: [linux-audio-user] moterhboard and sound card advise

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] moterhboard and sound card advise
From: RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net
Date: Sat Jul 03 2004 - 07:06:48 EEST

} > It's a very popular {Opterons as well} processor in Winworld
} > {despite the fact that there's no software that takes advantage
} > of it.}
}
} Opterons are so expensive for their performance, alas.

 Not in contrast to Intels processors. http://www.pricewatch.com/

} > Windows64 will be out of beta soon enough and I'm sure that the
} > platform will go. :}
}
} I'm not sure 64-bit computing for the masses is that much of an issue. It's
} certainly not possessed of compelling advantages in the way Windows 95
} offered to DOS/Windows 3.1 users.

 Take a look at soundonsound. Take a look at many of the sales catalogs... it's
the only thing they're selling. {straight commercial pages}

} I don't know anyone outside of the hardcore who even have more than 1GB of
} RAM in their machines. It still costs a non-trivial amount of money to put
} more than 2GB into most systems.
}
} > Perhaps it's something to consider. {Both when choosing a compiler and
} > when evaluating hardware.}
}
} Admitted. You speak some wisdom here.
}
} I am still scorched at AMD a bit for their thermal dissipation crimes of the
} Athlons. But I'm also still simmering over how Intel dropped the ball (and
} the entire match) with their Itanium. How many years have they been
} shipping it? And how expensive, and relatively "useless" is it still?

 I wouldn't call it useless... just targeted. {and expensive} Once Athlon has
opened things up... They'll either have to drop prices or come up with
something compatible. {They'll have to come up with something compatible
anyway...}

 :} You know how it goes with "buzzwords".

 AMD has done a lot to improve the operating temperature of their
processors.

} Maybe the PowerPC G5 is looking more and more attractive, but it's alas only
} shipping in (surrounding) hardware I don't like with flawed Linux support.
} Bleh. I just can't win.

 You mean the 64 bit model? :}

E-Mail: RickTaylor_AT_Speakeasy.Net
Date: 02-Jul-2004