Re: [linux-audio-user] moterhboard and sound card advise

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] moterhboard and sound card advise
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Sat Jul 03 2004 - 15:00:46 EEST

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 23:06, RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net wrote:
> }
> } I am still scorched at AMD a bit for their thermal dissipation crimes of the
> } Athlons. But I'm also still simmering over how Intel dropped the ball (and
> } the entire match) with their Itanium. How many years have they been
> } shipping it? And how expensive, and relatively "useless" is it still?
>
> I wouldn't call it useless... just targeted. {and expensive} Once Athlon has
> opened things up... They'll either have to drop prices or come up with
> something compatible. {They'll have to come up with something compatible
> anyway...}

        July issue of Linux Magazine has a very good article on AMD64. They
mention that Intel has a new architecture called "IA-32 with 64 bit
Extensions" or "Extended Memory 64 Technology (EM64T)". To quote the
article "No matter the name, EM64T really is the same architecture as
AMD64 - mostly". New code names are Nocona and Potomac. So, it appears
that Intel has finally seen the train, jumped off the tracks, and is
madly trying to catch up to the caboose to grab a ride.

Jan